The University of Kentucky’s No. 20/20 football program began one of the most anticipated seasons in school history last Saturday, just one year away from recording its second 10-year campaign. wins over the past four seasons (2018, 2021).
Mark Stoops, who tied Paul “Bear” Bryant as the winningest head coach in program history with a win over Miami, Ohio in the season opener, will be looking to break that tie with the Kentucky’s second straight win over Florida this weekend. The game, which will mark the Southeastern Conference opener for both teams, kicks off Saturday, September 10 at 7 p.m. at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in Gainesville, Fla. on ESPN with Joe Tessitore, Greg McElroy and Katie George On call.
The Wildcats will be counting on returning quarterback Will Levis to live up to the praise he received in the preseason. The Cats will also rely on experienced defensemen DeAndre Square, JJ Weaver, Jordan Wright and Jacquez Jones.
Cat Scratches: Stoops and Cats Adjusting, Preparing for Florida
Kentucky opened its 2022 season with a 37-13 win over Miami, Ohio at Kroger Field on Saturday. As with any opening game, there were good and bad, according to British head coach Mark Stoops.
“The first game, the first week, after the game, it’s never as bad as you think, it’s never as good,” Stoops said.
Stoops cited his offensive line play as an area the staff needed to address.
“There are definitely some things that we all felt coming out of the game that need to be looked at, need to be addressed and we need to improve,” Stoops said. “And that’s being physical, being able to run the football and being able to protect the quarterback.”
However, with past experience as a guide, Stoops believes the Cats will make the necessary adjustments…Read More
Inside Series with Florida
• Kentucky trails the historic series against Florida, 53-19, including an 8-31 mark at Florida State (UK won five games in Gainesville, two games in Jacksonville and one game in Tampa).
• The two teams have shared the last four meetings, each winning once on the road.
• Kentucky beat Florida 20-13 at Lexington last season, with linebacker Jacquez Jones making the game-saving play in the dying seconds. Earlier in the game, freshman Trevin Wallace turned things around with a blocked return to the field for a touchdown.
• UK last won in The Swamp in 2018, ending a 31-year drought against UF. Also, the Cats hadn’t won in Gainesville since 1979.
• Six of the last eight meetings have seen the outcome uncertain until the fourth quarter
• Biggest victory for Great Britain: 52 (52-0 in 1917)
• Biggest victory in Florida: 66 (73-7 in 1996)
• Games decided by eight points or less: Florida leads 16-8
• Britain head coach Mark Stoops is 2-7 against Florida during his tenure
Last meeting against Florida
• Kentucky beat No. 10 Florida 20-13 at Kroger Field.
• Great Britain overcame a 10-7 half-time deficit and scored the game-winning touchdown when rookie Trevin Wallace returned a blocked basket 76 yards out for a score.
• Linebacker Jacquez Jones made a pass into the end zone in the final seconds to seal the victory.
• Running back Chris Rodriguez Jr. rushed for 99 yards and one score and linebacker DeAndre Square had 13 tackles.
10 seasons won in the last four years by Kentucky
School record of four consecutive bowl victories
Direct field goals made by British kicker Matt Ruffolo
Wins since the start of 2018, ranking 12th among Power Five programs
UK wins by Mark Stoops, tied with Paul “Bear” Bryant for most in school history