Brightlingsea cat Max alive and well after death scare

A FAMOUS feline who was presumed dead after vets informed his owner he had been fatally hit by a car has been discovered relaxing in his favorite beauty spot.

Max the Cat, a three-year-old Bengal, is regularly spotted strolling along Brightlingsea beach, cuddling visiting day-trippers and hanging out with locals.

His free and loving nature has seen him amass a legion of fans who post sightings of him on his social media page, which has thousands of followers.

In the past, his approachable personality has even seen him taken by his family all the way to Luton, after it was assumed he was a wanderer looking for a new home.


Her owner Georgie Dunt, 37, owner of Georgie’s Paw Pad, received a heartbreaking call from an emergency vet on Thursday night.

She was told that Max had been killed instantly after being hit by a car and that she could collect his body the next morning.

Grieving Georgie then posted the devastating news online and paid tribute to the “loving character and fearless bravery” of his friendly feline.

Because of her connection to the Brightlingsea community, hundreds of people gathered to mourn, leaving wishes and condolences.

However, on Friday, Georgie received an unsuspected phone call from a woman who claimed to have spotted Max alive and well near Bateman’s Tower.

“I was completely devastated to hear that Max was dead and then dreaded having to tell the town because I knew how upset everyone would be,” Georgie said.


“To then find out he was alive and well and hanging out at his usual place… I was just in total shock and so confused.

“I was so relieved and happy, but I had to go and see for myself – and of course there he was, no longer aware of all the upheaval that had taken place.”

Georgie blamed the confusion on her reported details when vets scanned the microchip of the unknown cat who had, sadly, actually been found dead.

She added: “The only thing I can think of is where I rescued and fostered so many cats from, maybe one is still in my name.

“Although I don’t recall ever recording any rescues in my name – it’s just crazy.”